When your body starts to ache and you suddenly feel as though you are 1,001 years-old… What are you gonna do about it?! CRYYYYYYY!!!! No, you rediculous mongoose, you! Here at the JBH Headquarters we are all about finding the honest solutions for those obstacles that may pop up in life!
Don’t let something like “illness” or “stress” bring you or your immunities down. We don’t have time to whine about how crappy we feel, and we realllllly don’t have time to hear you whine about how bad YOU feel… TRUTH! . . . Just BEEEEEIN’ HONEST!!!!
Okay, here’s the drill. Make this. Drink it. All of it. You’ll be better in a SNAP!
Trust me, I’m pretty much like a doctor.
Vegan French Onion Soup
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 large white or yellow onions, sliced into thin half-moons – I added a mix of shallots and garlic as well : )
- 3 large fresh thyme sprigs (about 1 tbsp), leaves stripped (or ½ tsp dried)
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar – I used ACV due to allergies – OR fine balsamic vinegar
- 4 cups vegetable stock (no salt added) OR – I made a homemade version of filtered water and sauteed medicinal herbs: thyme + rosemary + fennel
- 2 cups purified water
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tsp himalayan sea salt, divided
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Add cave-aged Gruyere on top, if you are not vegan ; ) OR – a vegan variety of cheese if you prefer: almond, cashew, brazil nut… etc.
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil over medium heat in a large soup pot.
- Add the onions, thyme and herb mixture + 1 tsp sea salt, and drizzle 1 tbsp olive oil over the onions; lower the heat to medium low. The onions will cook down to about ⅓ of their mass.
- Cook uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the onions caramelize and turn light golden brown, about 50-60 minutes.
- Add the vinegar and cook until it’s absorbed and the onions are a deeper brown, approx. 15 minutes.
- Add the stock / water, bay leaf, remaining salt and pepper, then bring to a boil. Turn the heat to low and simmer at least 30 minutes. Remove the bay leaf before serving.
- I usually eat it just like this, but you can also serve it with toasted gluten-free bread and melted cheese of choice.
- Make a big batch of this and freeze it! You wil have instant soup on tap for days on end, OR for a cleansing immunity superfood in a snap!
Be healthy, Be honest… True Food for Thought my loves!!!
Always… Just Bein’ Honest …