I absolutely love this time of the year. Not only is it staying lighter, later in the evening, but the BIRDS and the BEES are frolicking with glee – YES, definite ‘frolic’ action going on…
Spring. Ahhhhh, I love it. Even though my allergies are off the charts and eyes feel like cotton balls, I am oh so hunky-dory. I feel like Easter and Passover are really one of the main events that kick-off this colorful season.
Family and friends gather for yard games, outdoor escapades and a blessed feast. Ah, yes, how could we forget the feast. Whether you are hosting or attending, how do you deal with a menu that is allergy-friendly for all of your guests to enjoy? I know I don’t eat ham, or even meat for that matter, but darlins’, I’ll eat THIS: ⇓ Free from Gluten, Soy, Processed Sugar, and Dairy! Spring has SPRUNG! So let’s start building some ‘nests’… tasty tiny nests : )
Coconut Tahini Bites
- 1 cup, shredded OR flaked coconut – Unsweetened or Sweetened based on your preference.
- 3 medjool dates, pit them before you mix
- 3 1/2 tablespoons tahini + more depending on which coconut variety you select
- 1/4 teaspoon bourbon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vietnamese cinnamon
- Dash of pink himalayan sea salt
*** NOTE: I also like to add a little gluten-free coconut flour + coconut oil to add to the binding of these little balls : ) If, flour isn’t your thing, then by all means omit.
- Pit your dates and chop in to small pieces.
- Toss them in with coconut chips or coconut shreds.
- Add a GENEROUS amount of tahini + flour – IF you need more stability in your bites.
- Sprinkle in the vanilla, cinnamon and sea salt.
- Get your hands dirrrrrrty! Dig in and start “rolling” balls or simply, “plop” your mixture on to a coconut oil lined baking tray.
- Bake slowly at 350 F , set timer for 20 minutes. Check every so often to prevent burnt bites. I prefer my bites a bit on the “crumbly” side, almost like a puffy granola.
- After desired baking is finished, let cool – EAT ! ! ! or if you are really obedient, freeze for later in life ; )
I cannot get over how amazing these little treats are. They are perfect for the blooming season upon us and highly versatile to make any dietary changes you may prefer or need.
Not into tahini? Then sweethearts, feel free to use almond butter or cashew butter. The world is your vegan oyster. Now go be a pearl ; )
Just Bein’ Honest… True Food For Thought.
P.S. What’s your FAVORITE tahini to use?!
Follow me @JustBeinHonestKB