It’s like the perfect pickle for my plant-based burger… ehhhhh?! I obviously have a very exciting holiday coming up in my schedule (ALL of our schedules!) – MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND!!!
I don’t classify myself as being the life of the party – hardly – I enjoy the ambiance. I am the decorator, the planner, the menu afficionado and the caretaker of the entire event – “Can I fill your champagne?”
What I absolutely love is that the seasonal change is upon us all and SUMMMMMMMER is coming! I love crisp and clean wardrobe assortments – whites and brights. I love cool melons and sultry sorbet like fruit mixtures. Don’t you?! Am I painting a picture of a stay-cation for you here?
How to eat for – S U M M E R .
Elements: Fire + Water
Feelings: Hot, Humid, Bright
- Introduce – Cooling, Neutralizing, Slow (relax), Dry.
- Reduce – Heating, Sharp/Acidic, Sharp/Quick (intense), Oily.
Signs and Symptoms of Imbalance: Acid indigestion, Puffiness, Red Skin/Inflammation, Irritability.
Tastes to Love: Bitter, Astringent, Sweet.
Go to Guide of Summer Foods:
Bring in COOLING, CALMING and SLIGHTLY DRY foods.
- The Bitter + Astringent vegetables to incorporate are ZUCCHINI, BROCCOLI, LEAFY GREENS, CELERY, GREEN BEANS, and FENNEL ROOT.
- If you are enjoying dairy products, introduce sweet as opposed to sour – MILK (even nut based!) and GHEE.
- Love a lot on the light and neutral grains such as QUINOA (prepare properly – please ask me ; )), BASMATI RICE and BARLEY.
- Enjoy sweet and neutral fruits that are blooming such as GRAPES, POMEGRANATES, STONE FRUITS, MELONS and LIMES.
- Select proteins that are cool and light in form such as MUNG BEANS, TOFU, and if you are enjoying any sort of animal product – choose white meats and fish.
- Bring in electrolytes in the forms of COCONUTS and COCONUT PRODUCTS like water, milk, meats and use of their sugars in baking.
- Cooling spices and herbs will be your beneficial friend, using FENNEL SEED, CORIANDER, CILANTRO, CARDAMOM, MINT and TURMERIC – also ALOE when needed.
*** NOTE: Foods to Reduce for Summer.
- Spicy foods
- Vinegar and other particular fermentation products
- Salty foods
- Raw Tomatoes
- Raw Onions
- Red Meat and Egg yolks
- Orange Juice
- Sour dairy: Packaged yogurt + hard cheeses
- Chilies, sour tomatoes and honey
- Anything fried and overly oily
Use Coconut oil for self massage – will increase a natural cleansing of the organs. Add your favorite essential oil scents such as jasmine, lavender and rose. Practice this routine morning and evening before bed to soothe and cool yourself for a healthy sleep.
It’s most important to mindfully and physically practice the art of moderation when choosing activities. Most most most importantly is to avoid over scheduling yourself so you contain your relaxed state. Take on noncompetitive exercises like swimming, intermediate yoga and meditative walking. When hydrating – Please hydrate often – Drink room temperature or slightly cooled water. Cold or ice water is much too harsh on the central nervous and digestive state.
Taking cool baths and showers help regulate the central nervous system and maintain a balanced body temperature. Refraining from the midday sun will also reduce a state of stress on the temperature of the body – please continue to enjoy nature and the benefits it has to offer, best be aware of the sun exposure. Moon bathing can often at times be the key to enlightenment during this season as well.
What to shop for:
Veggies: Beets, Corn (Non-GMO), Cucumbers, Fennel, Lettuce, Summer squashes, Zucchini, Parsley, Cilantro, Thyme, Basil, Mint, Dill.
Fruits: Apples, Berries, Dates, Melons, Peaches, Plums.
Grains: Barley, Quinoa, Basmati Rice.
Beans: Chickpeas, White Beans.
Fats: Avocados, Coconut variations (Shredded, Milk, Oil), Homemade Yogurt.
Spices: Cardamom, Coriander, Fennel, Turmeric.
MISC: Chickpea Flour, Coconut Water, Hemp Powder / Hemp Hearts, Rose water / Tea.