CHA – CHA – CHA . . .
I never really took to eating these little pebbles until I got older. Similar to , I never enjoyed mushrooms until I discovered the wonderful blends and healing properties those little buggers packed inside.
One day when I was experimenting in the kitchen with ingredients I had on tap – I toasted up some crunchy grab and go snacks! VOILA!!! A fiber-licious creation to take with me on road trips, errand running, novel writing and hiking excursions.
Benefits of Chia:
2) They’re good for your brain.
The Omega-3 fats, like the ALA in chia seeds, are essential for brain function and improved cognition.
3) They help keep your bones strong.
A GREAT source of minerals like calcium, phosphorus, and magnesium – these are all needed for optimal bone strength and health. Non-milk drinkers will benefit from this plant food source just as the white liquid ; )
4) They can reduce inflammation.
Chia seeds have an anti-inflammatory effect due to the high ALA content. By reducing inflammation, you can help with many diseases stemmed from that chronic mess such as, autoimmune, infections, heart disease, type 2 diabetes and some cancers.
5) They keep your blood sugar stable.
FIBER!!! Regulating blood sugar levels help slow digestion, making you feel fuller longer. They give you the feeling of fullness after a meal – Hello, satisfaction!
6) They’re good for your heart.
The ALA is not only a heart healthy benefit, but chia seeds can help reduce your blood pressure – ahhhhhhh.
8) They can help keep your skin healthy.
Chia seeds are full of antioxidants that are known to be protective against free radical damage! Said to combat against up to 70% of free radicals one is damaged / exposed to.
- LOCK in your WATER! In my personal belief, I feel that I stay a little more hydrated a tad bit longer when consuming these bad boys. Try to add a sprinkle to your own personal “spa water”.
Scroll Down to get an Original KB Recipe!
Chia + Sesame Crackers
- 1/2 cup black chia seeds
- 1/4 cup brown sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup filtered water
- 1/2 tablespoon Himalayan sea salt (More if desired)
- Optional to mix in other spices of choice such as fresh rosemary, lavender, pepper, garlic or chili’s
- Optional to mix in fresh lemon or lime juice
- Set oven to 375 degrees – I used a convectional oven, so please be certain to watch your crackers as they bake!
- Pour all ingredients in a medium bowl. Mix well and set until a thick “batter” forms. Spread mixture on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Place the “BLOB” in the center of the parchment paper and evenly spread the batter outward so all is at one level for baking purposes. Place the baking sheet in the warmed oven and bake for 25 – 35 minutes, keeping an eye on the process to prevent burnt crackers.
- Remove from oven, set to chill and further harden. Organically break the “giant” cracker and enjoy as is, or dip in to your favorite guac, bean mix, even sprinkle as a condiment! Perfect for picnics, road food or kiddie snacks!
Devourable. I have to stress this to you… limit your intake, as in try NOT to over-indulge in these HIGH FIBER crackers. Your gut will tell you if you have eaten too many. ; )