Well? No, I’m asking you if you are “Well” : )
How are you feeling these days? It’s been a hot minute since I have chimed in with something new to say, I am here and have been raising “Poppy” my new puppy girl. Let me tell YOU – that is work!
BUT – GOOD NEWS, I have a warm hug for you. Do you remember the book, Chicken Soup for the Soul? It was such a feel good anthology of heart felt stories. Whether you are stuck inside due to inclement weather (sorry snow-bearers…) OR perhaps you are just feeling a weeeee bit under the weather – mentally, physically or even emotionally – Consider this your remedy for your body, mind + soul.
This Nourishing Bone Broth Recipe was inspired by many traditional recipes, that I have tailored to my preference – cause…YA KNOW! All in all there are some major benefits that you’ll overall enjoy. PLUS, I have a “non-bone” (jokes aside, please) substitute in there for all of you plant based life-stylists.
Did you know that incorporating BB in to your lifestyle can help with so many things?
- Supports the Nervous System : Improves sleep, decreases anxiety + promotes mental calmness.
- Soothes the Gut + Aids Digestion : Contains gelatin + glutamine which can reduce inflammation + line the gut to help with healthy bowel movements!
- Improves Immune Health : Amino acids dampen inflammation in the lungs + supports the immune system + helps keep you hydrated.
- Enhances Skin, Hair + Nails : Collagen + glycosaminoglycans helps improve skin structure + elasticity.
- Promotes Healthy Bones + Joints : Helps keep joints lubricated so they can move + groove without pain – because I LOVE to dance ; )
- 3 lbs. of bones that contain cartilage, tendons + marrow // OR 2 – 3 strips (depending on size + salt preference) of kombu seaweed for plant based
- 2 tablespoons of a nice olive oil
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 gallon filtered water
- 3 large carrots, roughly chopped
- 3 celery stalks, roughly chopped
- 2 onions, quartered with the skin on
- 1 bulb of garlic, unpeeled
- 1 tablespoon peppercorns
- selection of fresh herbs (thyme, rosemary + sage)
- pink salt, to taste (less, if you are adding in more kombu)
- For the best flavor, drizzle the bones with olive oil + roast them in an oven at 400 degrees F for 30 minutes, or until golden brown.
- In a large stock pot, add the roasted bones, vegetables, peppercorns, apple cider vinegar + water. Bring to a boil + immediately reduce to a simmer for 8-12 hours for more potency. If you decide to use kombu, soak the strips along with the remaining ingredients.
- On occasion, sim the top to remove foam + debris. Add fresh herbs of choice + simmer for remaining 20 minutes.
- When the soup is ready, strain the broth + season with salt.
- Drink on it’s own, or great to be used as a base to enhance other soup variations + foods!
- Great to add to your pet’s food as added benefits!
Did you try this recipe? Let me know what you think!